Thursday, January 24, 2013

Mawlid

I am not here to argue the Mawlid, or love of the Prophet.
There are many who are more qualified who have written, talked, and argued about it.
Love of the Prophet for me is not something that happens just on one day, it should happen everyday.

Mawlid by Moonlight by my friend Hina Khan- Mukhtar is a good short read that begins:

The flickering flame of a candle casts a light on a child’s face, causing it to glow…and something magical happens.  The six-year-old opens his mouth to sing salawaat on the Prophet…and hearts soften.  An older sister takes her brother by the hand as they march off to the beat of a daff, singing nasheeds under a full moon, falling in line behind fifty other young ones…and tears spring to my eyes.

Why Mawlid? by Ibn Percy is also a good short read, one of my favorite quotes below: (link no longer available)

The mawlid is not fard, but what we do in a mawlid is fard. Allah commands us to send peace and blessings upon Muhammad (33:56). So whether you call it mawlid, dhikr, salawat, etc. Do it. Just do it. Your heart will be at ease and I guarantee you will feel better.

Shaykh Hamza Yusuf also does a video called  What is the Mawlid?

Update: After someone called their anti-Mawlid propaganda "Dawah" for the Muslims. I think more Scholarly information about Mawlid should be posted. Especially if you been harassed or called deviant as I have been called lately. I am not a big on debating, I believe "to you be your way and to me be mine", however this information is more for people who want to feel confident or reassurance in their traditional practices.


These pictures are from our first Mawlid in Maryland today.








No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips