Thursday, December 1, 2011

Geometric Shapes & Shelf

Out of all of the traditional Montessori work, after the long Division work, the Geometric Shape Insets is my favorite. I used to love working with color pencils as a child, making all the beautiful patterns. I thought the price to buy one would not be in the budget so I didn't give them much thought until I saw this post. Her DIY Geometric shapes were beautiful and I attempted to make some, but I did not have the right cutting tool. My shapes were not geometrical. But you know what, Lil A likes them anyway and it gets the job done. We just won't be creating any exact geometric patterns with it. However, I am satisfied with the way the shelf turned out and guess what? It was super easy, no nailing or screwing, I just used my handy dandy super glue gun!

The man at Lowe's cut a piece of wood into 4 pieces about 5 1/2" width.
The length of mine is 24"
I hot glued wooden square dowels to serve as the ledge.



I hot glued three pieces of ribbon.

I  hot glued a ribbon to connect both sides
to create a triangle.
The greatest advantage of this shelf
is that it can fold away nicely.

If only I had sharper cutting tools, this would have been perfect ;)

But my Lil A loves it.
I put the easier shapes on one side for her to start with.
However, she wanted to work with the harder shapes,
the quatrefoil being the hardest.

Lil A's trapezoid came out perfect!
So did all her other basic shapes.

Her quatrefoil not so much, but I know it will be perfect soon!

Geometry
Noor Janan Link Ups:
Living Montessori Now- Montessori Monday

Noor Janan Links:
Montessori For Learning Free Shape Cards
Montessori Material Free Shape Cards
My Favorite how to Video and Lessons
Seedpod Craft Studio's Insets

6 comments :

  1. Great job on this project. I might need to try this out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalaamu Alaikum!

    Masha Allaah nice work! I find using stencil type of writing is what my daughter is enjoying doing these days and and eventually making up many stories and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a comment last night, but I don't think it went through. I LOVE your DIY geometric shapes and shelf ... that's my kind of woodworking project! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your photo and post in my DIY Geometric Shapes post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/12/05/montessori-monday-diy-geometric-shapes/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you We Can Do All Things, your daughter is adorable and I love the work you do with her.

    Umm Maimoonah, Stencils are awesome! I love the variety with them. We have a beautiful butterfly one and we use it to make stain glass window techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I am really honored. This made my night and I was really excited to share it with my husband and on my facebook page. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just re-visited your wonderful post and added your photo and post link to my post on How to Make Your Own Montessori Materials at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/09/23/how-to-make-your-own-montessori-materials/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me!

Blogging tips